Safety Rules To and From School
Please review these safety rules with your child.
- Follow a safe route to and from school.
- Always follow the directions of the crossing guard.
- Do not walk through John Adams or Santa Monica College campus.
- Enter and exit school from 14th Street near the school office.
- Do not enter or exit from the parking lots.
- From 16th Street, enter and exit using the pedestrian gate, not the parking lot
- Once at school, do not leave campus for any reason unless you are with an authorized adult who has signed you out through the office.
- Communicate clearly with your parents before you leave home each day about after school play dates, appointments and child care arrangements.
- Wear a helmet and follow all safety rules for bikes, skateboards, skates and scooters.
- Only 4th and 5th graders may ride bikes, skateboards, roller blades or scooters to school unless accompanied by an adult.
- Get off your bike immediately upon entry to schoolgrounds and lock it at bike racks.
- Get off your skateboard, skates or scooter immediately upon entry to school grounds and leave them in the front office.
- Never ride bikes, skateboards, skates or scooters on school grounds before, during or after school.
- Stay in supervised areas before and after school.
- Playground supervision begins at 8:10 Monday-Thursday and at 9:30 on Friday.
- Remain in the cafeteria until dismissed to play ground.
- If you are enrolled in CREST or Playground Access, go directly to your program when dismissed from class.
- After school Playground Access supervision ends at 5:00.
- There is no Playground Access program on rainy days.
- Do not wait in front of school for pick up after 3:10 p.m. Ask permission to use the phone and then go to a supervised playground to wait.
- Students in grades 1-5 may not play or wait on the Kindergarten yard.
- Use the Five Q's and follow all Behavior Standards while on school grounds before, during and after school.
- Do not drop off your child in the parking lots! Parking lots are for staff use only.
- If you must park your car, there is 30 minute parking on the west side of 14th Street and south of the driveway on the west side of 16th street.
- The east side of 14th is for drop-off/pick up only at certain hours. During mid-day, this area is also 30 minute parking.
- All adults visiting school grounds must enter through the front office, sign the visitor's log and receive a visitor's badge.